The Quiet Visitors of an Urban Farm

Why pollinators are essential to a farm ecosystem

Dragonfly in the farm
Photo by Author — Dragonfly @ Kebun Kebun Bangsar
Pollinators found @ Kebun Kebun Bangsar
Photos by Author- Pollinators found @ Kebun Kebun Bangsar

What are pollinators?

They are mostly tiny animals or insects that can fly — Birds, bats, bees, ladybugs, butterflies, wasps, flies & moths.

What is Pollination?

The process where pollinators transfer pollen from male flower to female flower. When this happens, we gain seeds, fruits, and another inception of flowers or plants. While 90% of pollination depends on animals, the remaining 10% are wind and water.

Why are they essential to farms?

One out of every three bites of what we eat depends on a pollinator. Pollination is necessary for over 180,000 different plant species and more than 1200 crops.

How can you help pollinators?

Not surprisingly, with urbanization and climate change, the habitats of pollinators are being threatened. These include excessive use of pesticides and disease spread.

  • Plant pollinator garden-flowers: Plant in boxes, gardens, farms, clusters. Plant continuously if possible — plant different mix of flowers, including local trees/flowers. Locate a site for resting/nesting — birds like small pools of water.
  • Use pesticides only when necessary or for the intended pest.
  • Support local honey producers. Build bee boxes.
Flowers for Pollinators at Kebun Kebun Bangsar
Photos by Author & Ng Sek San @ Kebun Kebun Bangsar — Flowers for Pollinators

--

--

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Ching Ching

I am a Malaysian discovering ways to write about my life and my encounters with people. Nature is my inspiration.